Thursday, September 6, 2012

Fall in Wayne County -- bittersweet and wonderfully amazing!

 
Fall has always been my favorite season. It goes way back to my childhood when the start of fall meant new school clothes, a new pair of saddle oxfords and new school supplies. I especially liked getting a new box of #2 pencils – the ones with the bright golden yellow outside and the crisp hard lead inside. I can close my eyes today and still smell that just-sharpened pine and lead scent.  Some years the start of school meant a new too-curly-slightly-frizzy hair perm as well. That is one memory and one scent I’d truly rather forget. And then THE day arrived and the sound of the school bus whooshing to a stop at the end of our driveway masked the nervous drum of my excited heartbeat. What new possibilities would this school year bring? I was always so filled with hope!




  
Although I am pushing 60, I’m still like a child about fall. No matter my age I am still awed by the first red tint of a maple leaf or the sound of geese turning southward. As August wanes into September I start longing for homemade chili, a crisp walk in the woods and a fire on the patio. I find every taste, sound, scent and view of fall to be so wonderfully bittersweet; I long to savor every ounce of it before the winds turn cold and Mother Earth puts on her drab gray sweater.
 


 
This year I am especially excited about the line-up of festivals, events and FUN just waiting to be enjoyed here in Richmond/Wayne County. September’s fun starts with Cambridge City’s Canal Days on Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 8-9. As always, Historic National Rd. 40 will be closed down and filled with vendors selling good eats, arts, crafts and fun for the kids. I’m looking forward to my first caramel apple of the season and at least one lemon shake-up!




 
I have my eye on a few events to share with my grandkids. We will definitely go to Heritage Festival 2012 at the Wayne Co. Historical Museum September 8-9 where we can enjoy toe-tapping music, old-time crafts, blacksmithing, a silent auction, good food, wood crafts, carriage rides, Civil War re-enacting, homemade ice cream, Hat Trick exotic petting zoo, children's activities and much, much more! I also think they will enjoy the ArbLeaf walking leaf collecting trail at Hayes Arboretum now thru October 19th. Glen Miller Park will be our destination on Saturday Sept. 15th for Kidsfest, a day of fun kids activities at S. 10th St. Park.



 
The Annual Center City Picnic and the last Main Street Sidewalk Sale of 2012 will be from 11 am – 1:30 pm on Thursday, Sept. 13th. I’m looking forward to some great food in an outdoor picnic atmosphere and also browsing the special promos all along the sidewalk sale.





 
This year will be my first year to experience Oktoberfest in the Historic Richmond Depot District. I hear I need to dress in my best German attire (where oh where is my lederhosen??!!) and get ready to party! Note to self: go hungry and stay thirsty as beer and brats will be the diet for the day. Visitors will want to try locally made beer from the Depot District's microbrewery, have fun playing games, listen to live music, browse locally made goods and crafts and more! 

I'd love to hear what local fall festivals and events you are looking forward to this year. Please leave a comment and share your love of fall with all of us!


No comments:

Post a Comment