Friday, July 6, 2012

Discovering the Depot District


Historic Depot District.  What comes to mind when you read that phrase?  For me, it used to mean old buildings, with struggling stores, and poor business.  After discovering the Depot District for myself, it means a passport to the past.  The only business I had ever ventured in before was the Little Sheba’s Restaurant.  However, recently I spent the whole afternoon meandering in and out of several businesses. 

I didn’t know what to expect so I went to the Depot District with an open mind.  I started my afternoon journey at CoCo’s Boutique and CoCo Cooks for You.  I spent a good half an hour just looking at all the boutique had to offer.  CoCo’s has everything from purses to scarves, baking utensils to cloth napkins, and aprons to different kinds of pasta.  Since I am a financially strapped college student most of the items were out of my price range.  However, several items caught my eye.  I saw what looked to be an ordinary purse at first, but on second glance I realized it was completely made out of pop tabs and yarn.  I was very tempted to trade a tank of gas for that $30 purse! A few steps further I came across some dark chocolate pasta.  I have never tried that kind of pasta before!  Even though I was feeling adventurous, I thought I would skip trying new foods!

After I had my fill of the wonders of CoCo’s boutique I waltzed over to Ghyslain Chocolatier.  I had my Chocolate Passport, courtesy of the Welcome Center, and I wanted to pick up my free chocolate from the display case.  I looked at the artsy chocolates for several minutes before deciding on which one I wanted.  I ended up trying the Champagne Cognac, a dark chocolate ganache infused with Cognac extract.  It had a very bitter powder on the outside of the truffle, but a very sweet inside!  The combination of bitter and sweet ended up being a symphony of flavors in my mouth.

After gazing at all the beautiful desserts in the display case at Ghyslain, I ventured onto Maria Mitroine’s Market and Parker’s General Store.  It was as if I stepped back a few decades into a store from Little House on the Prairie!  There were aisles of preserves, oils, candies, and many other mouth-watering goodies!  There was even a chessboard set up on a barrel so customers can relax a bit during or after shopping! 

My other stops included Country Classics and Foster’s “E” Street Gallery.  Country Classics blew me away with its uniqueness.  As you walk in there are awnings that slant towards you from both sides.  I was told by the employees that the awnings were donated sidings from Amish barns.  The awnings are free-standing.  There are no holes in the walls from nails or anything of the sort, in order to preserve the integrity of the building.  There were one of a kind scarves, purses, candles, and a large selection of folk-art home decor, and much more! I was very impressed by this little store!

Foster’s “E” Street Gallery amazed me beyond words.  I still lack the words to properly describe how I felt in that store.  I saw old cigar boxes, spectacles, an old dentist’s chair, Vintage clothes, instruments, silverware, coins, and jewelry.  I easily spent an hour just walking through and looking at all the antiques!

I hope to head back as soon as I get the chance!  The Depot District is wonderful!  But don’t take my word for it!  Discover the Historic Depot District for yourself.  Go for an adventure!  I guarantee you won’t regret it!  



Brooke is a junior at Indiana University East, studying Nursing. She works at Reid Hospital & Health Care Services in the Food & Nutrition Department; and, also at the Richmond/Wayne County Tourism Bureau.  She enjoys spending time with friends and family and exploring the great outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment