Friday, July 13, 2012

Wayne County Historical Museum


Before today, the last time I was at the Wayne County Historical Museum was in elementary school as a field trip, and quite frankly, I didn’t remember any of the exhibits.  Well…I remembered visiting the gift shop!  In the past few years I’ve heard such wonderful things about the museum, so I decided I would go check it out for myself.

I was absolutely stunned after I walked through those doors after 11 years.  I spent a couple of hours just looking at and reading about the exhibits; there are over 60 exhibits at the museum!   I learned about Richmond’s history, Egyptians, the Civil War, pioneer days, and much more!  I could have spent a few more hours just looking around! 

My favorite exhibit was downstairs, the Starr Gennett Collection.  I took piano lessons for many years, and I actually have a Starr piano in my living room.  I broadened my knowledge about the Starr Gennett Company while I was in that room.  In the exhibit room there was an Imperial Grand piano.  It was gorgeous, to say the least.  I read that 12 were made.  Ten of them were sent to a girl’s college in Glendale, OH, which later burned to the ground.   I also learned the Starr Gennett company was contracted to make wings and propellers for the planes in WWII. 

History has never interested me before, but now I have such an interest in the past!  To stand among the artifacts, the vintage phones, school hacks (horse-drawn school “buses”), antique ambulances, clothing, and cars, it was as if I was transported to a different time.  Years ago someone touched these items.  They used them.  It made me yearn to meet these people, to live as they did. 

I stayed in the same time frame as I walked outside to the village.  The village is complete with a bakery, print shop, blacksmith, one-room schoolhouse, and the 1823 Solomon Dickinson Log Cabin.  In between the Blacksmith Shop and the Children’s History Center there was a cage about the size of my bathroom.  Now, my bathroom is not large by any means.  I learned that this cage, nicknamed “Old Pokey”, served as the county jail until 1930. 


I will definitely not wait another 11 years before I go back!  I highly recommend heading down to the Wayne County Historical Museum and releasing your inner history buff!  Check out their events page at, http://waynecountyhistoricalmuseum.com/events.htm!  




Brooke is a junior at Indiana University East, studying Nursing. She works at Reid Hospital & Health Care Services in the Food & Nutrition Department; and, also at the Richmond/Wayne County Tourism Bureau.  She enjoys spending time with friends and family and exploring the great outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment