Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Visiting the Amish Businesses Day!!!


I headed out the other day to explore the businesses in our Amish community.  I stopped first at the Fountain Acres Food Store in Fountain City.  I had been there a few times several years ago and hadn’t been too interested at the time.  Since then I have learned to bake delicious treats, cook meals, and do my own laundry.  After going back today I have a newfound appreciation for the Fountain Acres Foods Store.  Aisles of spices, herbs, and extracts to make any dish a sensation!  Numerous rows of candies, preserves, and freshly made pies and cakes made my mouth start watering.  Laundry soaps!  Home herbal remedies!  Snacks! Cheeses (and free cheese samples…can you say yum?)!  A deli!! This store had everything I could have ever dreamed of, in order to make my kitchen and laundry room experiences complete! 

After spending a good hour in Fountain Acres I ventured out to Miller’s Dry Goods.  It was significantly smaller compared to the store I had just come from, but it was packed to the brim with goodies!  Hand-crafted clothing, carvings, kitchen utensils, Bibles, books, toys and much more!

And it’s not just the products that make these stores one-of-a-kinds, but it’s the workers!  Both businesses I visited are owned and run by our local Amish community.  I have met so many people who believe the Amish to be plain, ordinary people.  I could not disagree more.  They are no different than anyone else—give them a smile and they’ll give one right back to you!!  Sure they may dress differently and have different beliefs, but if you look around in your workplaces, extended families, or friends you’ll find you associate with people who are very different than yourself!

I challenge you to venture out and discover these businesses for yourself.  Not only will you be amazed at what the human hands are capable of, but you’ll also learn new things about the people in this community.  And who knows…you might even make a new friend!!


Brooke is a junior at Indiana University East, studying Nursing. She works at Reid Hospital & Health Care Services in the Food & Nutrition Department; and, also at the Richmond/Wayne County Tourism Bureau.  She enjoys spending time with friends and family and exploring the great outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment